The Liver Disease is any Malfunctioning of Liver that causes Variety of Diseases. In simple terms ‘Liver Disease’ or ‘Hepatic Disease’ is a condition which causes Inflammation of the ‘Liver cells’ or the ‘Hepatic Cells’ or it is the condition where damage to the Liver Tissues occurs and the Liver fails to perform its designated functions.
The Liver plays an incredible line up of more than 500 Vital Functions in the maintenance and performance of the body. Some of these major functions include Detoxification of Chemicals, Metabolizes Drugs & Medicines, and Removing Bacteria from the Blood Stream. Secretion of Bile, Storing and releasing of Glucose as and when needed; Providing Immunity Factor's, Makes Proteins for Blood Clotting, Carbohydrate, Protein, and Fat Metabolism etc. 'Liver' is considered to be 'The Life Giver', hence the maintenance of a healthy Liver is vital to overall health and well-being. Unfortunately, the Liver is often abused by Environmental Toxins, Poor Eating Habits, Alcohol, Drugs & Prescription and over-the-counter drug use, which can damage and weaken the Liver and eventually lead to Chronic Liver Diseases, Fatty Liver Disease, Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, Liver Cancer and Alcoholic Liver Disease etc.
Liver Disease appears to be on the increase. Part of this increase may be due to :
- Our frequent contact with Chemicals and other Environmental Pollutants.
- Medicine consumed increased greatly with resulting dangers to the Liver.
- The Liver, the detoxifying factory in the body, has become an increasingly Overworked Organ.
- While those who Smoke, Abuse Alcohol and Drugs, and those live in severely Polluted Environments are at greatest risk,
- We all suffer some threat of damage or disease to the Liver.
Unfortunately, the Liver is often the Most Abused Organ in the body. It is exposed to Alcohol, Drugs, and a multitude of Environmental Toxins, including Pesticides, all of which place a burden on this Vital Organ. This abuse often goes unnoticed because of the Liver’s considerable capacity to regenerate and the fact that problems associated with Liver function occur in distant and seemingly unrelated parts of the body. An overstressed Liver can impair detoxification and manifest in
what may appear to be unrelated symptoms, such as Loss of Taste (Dyspepsia), Generalized Weakness or Malaise and Achiness, Headaches, Menstrual Irregularities, Bone Pain, and Muscle Stiffness. Eventually, a dysfunctional Liver cannot perform its tasks properly and consequently the body becomes subject to toxicity and an overall decline in metabolic function. Problems associated with Liver dysfunction can ultimately lead to serious illness such as Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, Fatty Liver, Alcoholic Liver Disease, and Biliary Cirrhosis.
Symptoms and Signs of Liver Disease include Pain in the right Upper Abdominal Quadrant, Yellow Discoloration of the Skin and Eyes, Dark Urine, Grey, Yellow, or Light-Coloured Stools, Nausea, Vomiting and/or Loss of Appetite, Blood Vomiting, Bloody or Black Stools, Itchy Skin, Abdominal Swelling or Distension, Unusual change of Weight, Abdominal Pain, Sleep Disturbances, Mental Confusion, and Fatigue or Loss of Stamina.
In Ayurveda, Liver disorders are grouped together and termed as ‘Yakrit Vikara’.‘Yakrit’ means Liver and ‘Vikara’ refers to Disorder or Derangement, Disfigure or Diseased condition.
Ayurvedic Causative factors for Liver Disorders (Yakrit Vikara):
- Madhyapana (Alcohol Intake)
- Vegadharana (Suppression of Natural Urges)
- Ushna Teekshna Ahara (Intake of Spicy and Penetrative Food and Beverages)
- Guru Abhishyandi Bhojana (Heavy and Blocking Foods)
- Diwa swapna (Day Sleep)
- Ratri Jagarana (Night Awakening)
- Kshata (Injury) etc will lead to all the Simple & Complex Liver Disorders.
Lakshana’s or the Features of Liver Disorders (Yakrit Vikara):
- Mlana Yakrit (Reduced Liver Functions)
- Shakrit Apravritti (Constipation)
- Pittaalpata (Reduced Biliary Functions)
- Atitrushna (Excess Thirst)
- Avila Mutrata (Turbidity Of Urine)
- Kardanma Deha Prabha (Loss Of Luster And Complexion)
- Pandutva (Anemia)
- Adhmana (Distention Of Abdomen)
- Agnimandya (Loss Of Digestive Capacity)
- Chardi (Vomiting)
- Avasada (Debility)
- Tiktodgara (Bitter Regurgitation)
- Jihwa Liptata (Coated Tongue)
- Udgara Bahulya (Belching)
- Asthi Shoola ( Pain In Bones And Joints)
- Dakshina Skandha Shoola ( Pain In Right Shoulder)
- Sakthi Shoola (Pain In The Flanks/Waist)
- Dakshina BahuJadya (Numbness In The Right Shoulder)
- Kasa (Cough)
- Jwara (Fever)
- Mala Vaivarnya (Discoloration Of The Stool)
- Tiktasyata (Bitterness Of The Mouth)
- Arati (Loss Of Interest)
- Lohita Mootrata (Yellow Or Red Discoloration Of The Urine)
- Bala Hani (Lethargy)
- Vid Badha (Constipation)
- Peetakshata (Yellow Discoloration Of The Eyes)
- Vama Parshwa Shayanashaktata (Difficulty To Lie Down In Left Sided Position)
- Nidranasha (Loss Of Sleep)
- Kamala (Jaundice)
- Toda (Pricking Sensation)
- Bheda (Splitting Pain)
- Daha (Burning Sensation)
- Trishna (Thirst)
- Shotha (Edema) etc
Ayurveda Treatment & Approach to Liver Disorders:
- We @ Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital understand &recognize that Balancing Liver Function Is pivotal to ensuring overall health. In dealing with problems of the Liver, the primary goal within the system of Ayurveda is to enhance Liver Detoxification Processes and help protect against further damage to the Liver.
- Researched Herbs are selected and combined for their ability to help promote “Balance” within the body and to nourish the Liver and related functions, including Digestion and Bile Acid Secretion. For treating Liver complaints, we @ Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital prepare our own researched medicine that consists of multiple herbs that may individually have a tremendous variety of properties is commonly used. This Researched Medicine works on multiple biochemical pathways capable of influencing several organ systems simultaneously. The benefit of our Medicine is that it can nourish the body as a whole by supporting various organ systems, yet its main focus will be on support of the Liver.
- Deepana (Carminatives); Pachana (Digestives); Mrudhu Virechaka (Laxatives) & Pitta Virechaka (Cholegogues) Herbs are recommended.
- We @ Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital have reinvented the Practice of ‘Agneya Chikitsa’ – The Speciality Treatment to treat all the GIT Diseases from Simple Acidity to the Chronic Liver Cirrhosis & Incurable Tumours & the Cancers of the GIT.
- Panchakarma Therapies especially Vamana and Virechana treatments are used mainly in Treatment of Liver Disorders. These treatments help to expel out aggravated Kapha and Pitta Dosha.
Preventing the Liver Disorders -
- Reducing the consumption of Alcohol, Mixing Drugs or taking unnecessary Drugs,
- Consulting an Ayurvedic Physician if there are any signs or symptoms of Liver disease can help prevent damage to the Liver.
- Prevention also includes maintaining a Balanced Diet that includes Nutrients and Herbs that support a Healthy Liver.