Womanhood is blessed with rhythm and cycle from God. It is difficult to accept changes in this harmony. Currently DUB (Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding) is defined as a state of abnormal uterine bleeding following anovulation (Ovaries do not release egg during a menstrual cycle) due to dysfunction & Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Ovarian Axis endocrine origin. This is more prevalent in Premenopausal age group and after Abortions.
Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding is commonest problem encountered by gynaecologist in today’s practice and incidence becomes higher with degree of civilization. Various treatments prescribed in modern medicine like HRT, Antifibrinolytic agents etc have not proved their definite efficacy Inspite of high price and side effects.
The statement of excessive bleeding is assessed by number of pads used, passage of clots (size & number) and duration of bleeding. In premenopausal period genital malignancy should be ruled out prior to any therapy. Ultrasound & Trans vaginal sonography detects anatomical abnormality like fibroid, adenomyosis of the uterus, endometrium and adnexae.
Hormonal abnormalities that are thyroid problems, elevated prolactin hormone, excessive weight loss, obesity, stress, liver disorders, and renal disorders are other factor causes for DUB. Heavy Bleeding interferes with women’s Physical Emotional, Social &Material Quality &Life.
Medical conditions which cause DUB:
Medical conditions that often cause Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding are:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) - This is an endocrine disorder that causes a woman to produce an increased amount of sex hormones. This may lead to an imbalance in estrogen and progesterone, making the menstrual cycle irregular.
- Endometriosis - This condition results when the uterine lining grows outside of the uterus, such as on the ovaries. Endometriosis often causes heavy bleeding during regular periods.
- Uterine Polyps - These small growths occur within the uterus. Although their cause is unknown, polyp growth is heavily influenced by the hormone estrogen. Small blood vessels in the polyps can cause DUB, including spotting between periods.
- Uterine Fibroids - Uterine fibroids are small growths that occur within the uterus, uterine lining, or uterine muscle. Like polyps, the causes of uterine fibroids are unknown. But estrogen seems to play a role in their growth.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) - STDs that cause inflammation, like Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia, may lead to DUB. Bleeding caused by STDs usually occurs after sex, when the lesions are aggravated.
- Medications – Usage of Certain medications can also cause DUB, including:
• Birth Control Pills
• Hormonal Agents
• Warfarin (Coumadin)
Symptoms of DUB:
The most common symptom of DUB is bleeding outside of your normal periods. It can also occur within your menstrual cycle. Suspicious bleeding patterns include:
- heavy menstrual bleeding
- bleeding that contains many clots or large clots
- bleeding that lasts more than seven days
- bleeding that occurs less than 21 days from the last cycle
- bleeding between periods
- breast tenderness
- pelvic pain or pressure
If you experience any of the following severe DUB symptoms, contact us immediately:
- low blood pressure
- increased heart rate
- pale skin
- passing large clots
- soaking a pad every hour
How is DUB diagnosed?
To diagnose DUB, your doctor will ask questions about your medical history and the history of your cycle. These answers will help them determine your risks for certain reproductive disorders, like PCOS and endometriosis.
If you’re taking any medication, including birth control, mention this to your doctor, as such drugs cause abnormal bleeding.
- Blood tests
- Complete Blood Pictureto rule out Anaemia.
- Endometrial biopsy
Is DUB treatable?
There are many treatment options available for DUB. Sometimes, in cases of puberty especially, no action is taken, as the hormones usually correct themselves. The right treatment depends on the underlying cause of the bleeding.
Can DUB cause complications?
Generally, DUB is a temporary condition. Once the sex hormones are regulated, abnormal bleeding usually subsides.
Anaemia is one of the main complications of heavy bleeding. If you develop anaemia due to significant blood loss it has to be treated. In rare cases where the bleeding has caused significant blood loss, you may need a blood transfusion.
DUB & Ayurveda:
Rakta Pradara or Asrugdhara is an excessive or prolonged flow of blood occurring in menstrual or inter menstrual period as per manuscripts of Ayurveda it shows close resemblance with Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding where following pattern of abnormal & excessive uterine bleeding is found like
- Menorrhagia - Prolonged or excessive bleeding occurs at regular intervals;
- Metrorrhagia - Irregular, frequent uterine bleeding of varying amounts but not excessive;
- Meno-Metrorrhagia - Prolonged or excessive bleeding at irregular intervals;
- Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB) - Abnormal uterine bleeding not caused by pelvic pathology, medications, systemic disease or pregnancy, is the most common cause of abnormal uterine bleeding but remains a diagnosis of exclusion.
All the above pathologies can be correlated with Rakta Pradara in Ayurveda. So many preparations have been mentioned in Ayurvedic Classics for the treatment of Rakta Pradara. All these medications have certain fundamental Principles. They are -
• Rakta Shodhaka (Blood Purifier),
• Sthambhaka (Haemostatic),
• Balya (Reduces Weakness) etc.
In pathogenesis of Rakta Pradara Rasa, Rakta, and Vata dosha are main responsible factors. Vitiated Vata increases Rakta dhatu, increased Rakta Dhatu increases Rajas (Artava) in quantity.
Modern Medicine suggests Hormone Therapy, Anti prostaglandin & Anti fibrinolytic agents, NSAID’s etc have proved their efficacy inspite at higher price of side effects. If medical therapy fails in a woman in whom child bearing is complete, hysterectomy may be considered.
Ayurvedic Medicines play an important role to alleviate this pathology, and effectively control the bleeding. It also helps to cure the complications which occur due to heavy uterine bleeding (Pallor, Burning Sensation, Weakness). Ayurvedic Treatments are Non Hormonal, Cost Effective & Harmless Remedy.
We at Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital, since 1999 with 7 branches (Basheerbagh, Tarnaka, Banjara Hills, Vijayawada, Rajahmundry, Kurnool, and Tirupati) across Andhra Pradesh & Telangana, with a proven methodology, with zero side effects have treated more than 5 Lakh happy customers. We provide the Best Treatments for " Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding" with high success rates through Ayurveda.